Two Classic FET Compressors in One!
The Serpent Splice MKII takes classic FET compression to a whole new level, faithfully re-creating the circuitry, sonics, and behavior of not one, but two renowned FET compressors. The Splice MKII’s unique mode switching lets you switch between legendary Blackface and Blue Stripe circuits with the press of a button. The Splice MKII can even mix and match the two for entirely new sounds!
The Splice MKII audio path consists of two sections: the Input amplifier circuitry and the Output amplifier circuitry. Serpent’s unique circuitry mode switching lets you switch the audio path circuitry between classic Blackface and Blue Stripe modes — or mix and match between the two. When both Input and Output mode LEDs are off, the Splice is configured for Blackface mode. When both Input and Output mode LEDs are illuminated (Blue), the unit is configured for Blue Stripe mode. Alternatively, you can also mix and match the Input and Output circuits (e.g., Blackface Input circuit with Blue Stripe Ouput circuit or Blue Stripe Input circuit with Blackface Output circuit) to create new sounds and behaviors unique to the Splice MKII.
Individually, the Splice MKII’s selectable ratios of 2:1, 4:1, 8:1, 12:1, and 20:1 deliver everything from mild compression to brickwall limiting. But the onboard sonic surprise is Slam mode, which approximates the infamous “All Buttons In” setting on the classic vintage FET compressor that inspired the Splice. Deployed on the right source — drum room mics, for instance — the so-called Slam mode can trigger warped, explosive results akin to a seismic event in your control room. Symptoms may include increased distortion, a plateaued slope on initial transients, and extended lag time — kind of like a fun-house mirror for audio.
- Four Compressor circuits in one box:
- Input Circuit Black + Output Circuit Black = “Classic Blackface Mode”
- Input Blue + Output Blue = “Classic Bluestripe Mode”
- Input Blue + Output Black = “Blueface Mode” (Unique to the Splice)
- Input Black + Output Blue = “Blackstripe Mode” (Unique to the Splice)
- Stereo Linkable w/ front panel switch
- External Send & Return w/ front panel switch
- “All Buttons In” / Slam Mode front panel switch
- True Bypass (Relay Controlled) w/ front panel switch
- Integrated Mix/Blend Control w/ switchable bypassing for in-the-box parallel processing
- Integrated Active Sidechain Filters
- Switchable 600R Output loading allows the user to easily optimize the Splice™ for use with both vintage and modern equipment
- 45dB of Gain (with no limiting)
- Attack Time – 20 to 800 Microseconds
- Release Time – 50 Milliseconds to 1.1 Seconds
- Compression Ratios – 2:1, 4:1, 8:1, 12:1, 20:1 & Soft Bypass (BP)
- True VU meter w/ meter buffer circuitry
- Integrated Linear Power Supply
- 115V/230V compatible (User selectable on rear panel)
- Backed by a 2 Year Limited Warranty